Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pearl Osyter

The formation of a natural pearl begins when a foreign substance slips into the oyster between the mantle and the shell, which irritate­s the mantle. It's kind of like the oyster getting a splinter. The oyster's natural reaction is to cover up that irritant to protect itself. The man­tle covers the irritant with layers of the same nacre substance that is used to create the shell. This eventually forms a pearl.
source

It's slippery and wet!


I was in Beijing in 2006. We were brought to a pearl factory where I saw this huge osyter filled with pearls. Guess how many pearls were there..




8 comments:

janakidiary said...

Amazing! That's lots of pearls, I can already imagine what to make of it :0

Unknown said...

wow, could you harvest those pearls?:p

dblchin (double chin) said...

wow! The pearls look huge!!! I never seen anything like that! is rather amazing to hv form inside an oyster

Hootin Anni said...

That, my friend, is incredible!!!


HARBOR LIGHTS CHRISTMAS PARADE

My link above for Watery Wednesday. Hope you can stop by for a visit and view. Happy day!!!

Anonymous said...

that is something. i love pearls.

Jeannette StG said...

How fascinating! I was in Beijing in 2007, but I didn't know about the pearl factory! if you have some info. I like to know -I love pearls!

Míriam Luiza said...

Interessante!

SJB aka SUELYN J-B. said...

Wow..

Related Posts with Thumbnails